Saturday, February 21, 2009

Steamed Rice Cake


Nowadays, I'm obsessed of trying out steam recipes (aside from health reasons, it consumes less electricty hehehe). Ive been collecting recipes online and have tried some. Ive been planning to start a blogsite for my trial-and-error..and here its. If only I could find one for a recent post. Behold, two days ago, I came across this recipe from Suanne's Chow Times. I suggest that you check out Chow Times to see the step-by-step guide/photos. The photos were a big help indeed for a beginner like me :) I tried and seems I did it! Yumm-O!


(Since I love cheese, I've added some on top of the rice cakes)

Steamed Rice Cake

Ingredients

200g rice flour
200ml coconut milk
160ml boiling water
1 teaspoon double acting baking powder

120g sugar
1 teaspoon double acting baking powder
1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence

Instructions:

1. Sift the rice flour and baking powder (1 teaspoon) into a bowl.
2. Combine rice flour mixture with coconut milk.
3. Mix well until you get a smooth batter.
4. Add boiling water, mix well and set aside to cool.
5. When cool, stir in the 2nd teaspoon of baking powder and set aside for 1 hour.
6. Add sugar to the batter after 1 hour.
7. Also add the vanilla essence.
8. Divide the batter into 2 portions. Add different food colouring to the batter.
9. Line aluminum cups (I used a 6 cups muffin tin) with paper cups. Pour batter into cups until 90% full and leave to rise for 30 minutes. Steam over rapidly boiling water for about 15 minutes.

































** For a beginner like me, don't ever dare lift the steamer cover so soon. After steaming, let it rest for a few minutes :)
** For the steamer that I used, it wasn't done after 20 minutes so I extended for another 10 minutes.
** I've only tried half of this recipe. In case it wont turn out okay, then I'll only eat few hehehe Of course, don't want to go it into waste.
** Since there's a lot of waiting time for this recipe, my patience was tested and it paid off. I'm so going to try this again so I can learn to build more patience.
** Patience is a virtue

No comments:

Post a Comment